Thinking about summer; sunshine, ice creams and tan lines come to mind. These are the good memories. The not so good ones include over-crowding sweaty bodies on the tube, humid nights, dehydration and sunburnt skin. In London, it is seriously hard to stay as fresh as a daisy in summer but thanks to a few good products out there, it is definitely possible.
Now that it’s October the weather is much cooler and I don’t have to worry about sweaty bodies unless I’m heading to the gym. After a good workout, I am usually red-faced and dripping with sweat. I don’t mind – to me, it means I’ve actually done something. I always make sure I carry with me the essentials; deodorant for the underarms, a flannel to wipe of all that sweat and a bottle of water to rehydrate. As I live around the corner from the gym, I don’t bother to use their showers so it’s just a matter of quickly freshening myself up then heading home to get on with my mummy duties.
When the folks at Canesten asked if I wanted to try out their new intimate health products, I was very happy to. One of the things I lacked from my gym bag essentials was feminine hygiene wipes . These wipes aren’t just great for when it’s that time of the month, it’s actually a great item to have in your bag at all the times because then you can freshen up whenever you feel like it i.e. leaving straight from work to a party or in my case, after a sweaty workout. I received a few Canesfresh feminine hygiene products; an intimate gel wash, a mousse feminine wash and a pack of handy, travel-sized wipes. I was also given a lovely Polaroid instant camera to document my fun days out. 🙂
Find out how you can WIN
the same Polaroid instant camera at the end of this post!
Staying fresh on the go
A few days ago I went along to a fitness event. It was hosted by Chiara (@4Fitnessake) who is a personal trainer/blogger/nutritionist/coach and creator of the TotalBody workout classes. It’s a cardio/strengthening workout that is fun and energetic and definitely works up a sweat. We were put through our paces for 45mins with Chiara’s signature workout which targets the quads, glutes, arms and core (abs). It was intense but soo good and everybody (including myself) was literally dripping in sweat by the end of it. At the end of the session I was able to get a lovely photo with Chiara on my Polaroid. After having a light brunch and sitting down for a nutritional talk with the team at Fresh Fitness Food, I popped off to freshen up with my Canesfresh wipes before leaving the place with a fantastic Sweaty Betty goody bag.
Looking after your (intimate) health
What I loved most about the Canefresh intimate wipes is that it’s so gentle on the skin and are fragrance free. They felt really nice to use and I’ve not experienced any irritation with them. They also flush away so are super convenient for when you’re out and about. I’ve been using the wash gel as part of my morning shower routine and I love it. Just like the wipes, the wash gel is really gentle and foams up really well so you only need a small amount each time. I used to use another well-known brand but can say, hand-on-heart, that I much prefer the Canesfresh feminine wash gel. It keeps me fresher for longer and doesn’t irritate one bit. I’m yet to use the mousse but will soon and let you know what I think of it in my next post.
When it comes to intimate products, I am very cautious about what I use. I remember when I was 14, I had a thought that I should try using soap to wash my bits instead of just water… I regretted it. (PS. there is nothing wrong with using just water.)
I remember the pain I was in after washing with soap so well. By using the soap, I threw my body’s natural flora into overdrive and ended up with thrush as a result of it. I was so mortified and had no idea how to ask for help (dad raised me as a single parent) and I was too embarrassed to tell my friends what had happened. It took two weeks of coping in excruciating pain and itchiness before it went away. Oh, and I never knew Canesten or similar over the counter treatments existed back then plus how would I have explained to my dad why I needed something like that. It then took me years after that to gain confidence in using a feminine wash as I was convinced the same thing would happen again.
Now, as a mother to a baby girl, I will definitely be explaining to her about intimate health and how to take care of her body – something I never had growing up without a mum – and that using water to wash is sufficient enough at such a young age.
Here are some of my tips on how to look after your intimate health:
- Do not use soap down there. Ever. It will upset tour body’s natural flora.
- Don’t douche, it does more harm than good. Instead, use a reputable feminine wash like Canesfresh or other leading brand or simply just water is enough.
- To avoid feeling hot and sticky make sure you have some feminine wipes or a feminine spray can help.
- Think about buying the sanitary towels that come with a single wipe to keep you fresh or buy towels and liners that are lightly scented for extra freshness.
- Keep some thin pantyliners in your bag for those ‘just in case’ moments especially if it’s near that time of the month or you frequently experience spotting.
WIN! A Polaroid Snap Instant Camera
Fancy bagging yourself a camera?
Thanks to the lovely people at Canesfresh, they are giving away a brand new Polaroid Snap Instant Print Digital Camera (worth £89.99) to one lucky winner!
All you need to do is:
1. Enter the Rafflecopter giveaway using the link below
2. Leave a comment telling me how you stay fresh on the go (this is important as your vote won’t count if you don’t leave a comment)
The giveaway will be open for two weeks starting today and close on October 31st 2016. The winner will be announced on November 1st. UK residents only. T&C’s apply.
Good luck!! 🙂
TERMS & CONDITIONS:
- There is 1 prize of one Polaroid Snap Instant Print Digital Camera.
- The prize is non-transferable and no cash alternative is offered
- Open to UK residents aged 18 and over, excluding employees and relatives of The Greenwich Mummy and Bayer plc
- Closing date for entries is Monday 31st October 2016
- Entrants must log into Rafflecopter and leave a comment
- Optional entry methods are to follow on Twitter, Facebook and tweet on twitter
- The winner will be chosen at random from all valid entries
- The winner will be informed within 14 days of the closing date and will need to respond with a postal address within 28 days or a new winner will be chosen
- The winner’s name will be available on request
- The prize will be sent within 28 days of receiving the winner’s address
- This is a joint promotion between The Greenwich Mummy and Canesten
- Entry to this confirms that participants have read, understood and agree to be bound by these Terms and Conditions
*NB. I was kindly sent Canesfresh products and a Polaroid camera by Canesfresh, from the makers of Canesten, for this post to promote their latest campaign. All words, opinions and photos are my own.