Just a little post (mini-rant) about public transport – buses in particular – and why I hate it using it sometimes. Unfortunately I don’t drive so usually have no choice but to use the buses. Don’t get me wrong, most days I love it but then there’s those days that I can’t stand it.
If you’re a city mum then chances are you will probably be able to relate to one, if not all, of the things below:
- In summer it’s humid and smells like sweat and bad BO. In winter, it definitely smells like BO… and damp… and then some.
- On the cold, wet rainy days there is NEVER enough buggy space! You then end up waiting for 2-3 buses to pass by before you finally get on one.
- Leading on from point no. 2 sometimes the buggy spaces are taken by strollers with NO CHILD sitting in it… Just food shopping or an older child in the buggy – not a baby or toddler or pre-schooler even – I mean a fully grown 6 year old child that can sit on the chair will be in the stroller taking up space. So not cool when you’ve got a newborn and it’s the third bus you’ve waited for in the cold rain.
- Summer: super hot and everyone is sweating = heaters on. Air-con off. Winter: freezing cold as hell = no heating. Air-con on. I don’t know why they do this – It drives me bonkers!!
- If you’re pregnant no-one will bother to give up a seat for you – whether you have that poxy ‘baby on board’ badge or not. Okay, maybe not all the time but the majority of the time you won’t be able to get a seat. If you’re pregnant without a badge, chances are even slimmer. (PS I had a badge and hardly ever got a seat given to me unless I asked which I hardly did… Too much pride.)
Do you sometimes hate public transport? What’s your pet peeve?