Sometimes a meat-free dish is well needed. I randomly bought a tin of kidney beans in chilli sauce by accident when I was trying to make a Congolese bean stew and had picked this up instead of kidney beans in water so needed to make something with it.
I don’t really cook with kidney beans and as it already came with a sauce I was very confused on what to do with it. Then I had a “light bulb moment” and realised I can make something. All I had in the fridge was vegetables so I took a green pepper and an onion and made this lovely vegetarian dish which tasted great – we served it with rice. The whole family loved it!
Chilli Beans Recipe
Time: 25 mins
Serving: 1-4 people
- Tin of kidney beans in chilli sauce
1 onion – chopped
1 green pepper
Vegetable or sunflower oil
For the seasoning:
- A pinch of salt
1-2 pinches of black pepper
1tsp soy sauce or Maggi sauce (liquid seasoning)
- Put your saucepan or wok on a medium/high heat and add your oil.
- Add the onions and fry until nearly golden then add in the green peppers.
- Keep on the same heat until the peppers have softened which should take about 5-7 mins. Add a splash of water and cover to let the steam from the water evaporate soften the peppers.
- Add the salt, pepper and soy sauce/maggi sauce then add your tin of chilli kidney beans and turn the heat to low/medium to simmer for about 10 mins.
- By now, the flavours from the seasonings, onion and pepper should’ve mixed beautifully with the beans. Remove from the heat and leave to cool down slightly.
- Serve with rice or crusty bread or even eat them without any accompaniment. Enjoy! 🙂